Recess: The Forgotten Classroom
- The CDC defines recess as “regularly scheduled periods within the elementary school day for unstructured physical activity and play.”
- There has been a downward trend in time dedicated towards recess due to a belief that more time in the classroom results in better academic performance.
- Other countries have demonstrated that academic achievement does not suffer – but improves – when including time for recess and physical education.
Benefits of Recess
- Increased attentional focus
- Improved academics
- Improved attendance
- Decreased behavioral diagnoses (anxiety, ADHD, anger)
- Improved creativity and social skill development
LiiNK Action Steps
- 15-minute breaks throughout the day
- Four 15 minute breaks – two before lunch & two after lunch